UMT Name We're here: FaceBook Youtube LinkedIn+ Twitter
Call us toll free: 1.800.924.4883

ApplyRequest InfoAcademic ProgramsCertificate ProgramsTraining ProgramsGeneral InfoTuition and Financial AidAlumniPayments
GI Bill® Benefits

A Quick Guide for Using Your GI Bill® Benefits

It can be tough to find concise information on using your Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits after leaving the service. Here is a quick guide to help get you on the way to furthering your education. This guide omits any processes involving enrollment into a school, it only covers VA education benefits.
  1. Complete the Application The first step is to apply for your education benefits. The 22-1990 form is the application for first time use of benefits. You will need to provide some information to the VA such as your Social Security Number, military history and past education, information about the institution you wish to attend, and your banking information. If you have used your benefits previously, you will need to complete form 22-1995. Both forms can be completed online at
  2. Receive Certificate of Eligibility Once you have completed the appropriate form, the VA will need to process your claim. This can take a month or longer, so plan accordingly. Once your claim has been processed, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE). The CoE will provide information about the level of benefit you qualify for, how much time is remaining, and other information depending on your individual claim.
  3. Provide Certificate of Eligibility A copy of the CoE will need to be submitted to the VA Certifying Official at the school you plan to attend. This individual will then certify your enrollment to the VA so that your benefit will begin to be paid. Some benefits also require that you submit a monthly verification for as long as you are enrolled.
  4. Study, Study, Study! Now get to work on your classes! The VA certifying official at your school should be able to offer assistance with any issues later on, but the difficult part is complete.

Always consult the VA before taking any action that involves your valuable VA benefits! UMT participates in GI Bill® programs. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government web site at

Programs Available for Active Duty Military and Veterans

UMT offers undergraduate- and graduate-level degrees and non-degree certificate programs. To see the programs available, visit the UMT Academic Programs page.

Click here to learn how to use your GI Bill® at UMT

Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Copyright © 1998-2023 University of Management and Technology (UMT) | Consumer Information Disclosure